having such a fab time in LA that i couldn't sit my butt down to blog
some highlites thus far:
we arrive after 6 hrs of blissful TV watching (thank you Jet Blue) at the cutest little fisher price airport - Long Beach
we walk onto the runway, the sun is shining and THE BAGGAGE CAROUSEL IS OUTSIDE!!!
i just can't get over that
plus, the rental car place was ACROSS THE PALM-LINED STREET - just a few feet past the Koffee Kona shack and the birds of paradise!
ok, that alone was enough for me to come out here - remember, you seasoned, jaded travellers, that i have been in an endless loop of 13th st to E. 64th for the past 6mths.
[speaking of which - all my eyebrows over my right eye came out last nite - well, i was sort of pulling on them to test my theory that all the old hair folicles are really dead and that they're just sort of hanging on. oops - i was correct! no eyelashes left at all. however, my head is a fuzzy peach. sort of looks like the scary flesh of a baby mammal - kind of sweet, kind of grotesque. jo makes sure i wear my scarf all the time]
so we drive to Pacific Palisades and have a blissful reunion with Violet, Willow, Kirsten and Ed in their yard with lemon, orange and apricot trees. from our bedroom and the living room, you can see the ocean just down the bluff a few blocks away. amazing. the yards in the neighborhood are full of rononculus, poppies, all sorts of interesting cacti and succulents, citrus trees dripping w/fruit ready to eat, and all sorts of other flora etc. that i can't name.
i am in complete and utter heaven at the farmer's mkt in downtown Pac Pal. berries and citrus and tamales and babaganoush and stuffed grape leaves and fresh pomegranate juice and white honey and baby asparagus...a cornucopia in the land of milk and honey
and that was all the first day-
• sunday - la brea tar pits (the hill is great for the kids to roll down) then meet kate, cort and bill at the farmer's mkt - another happy reunion but with jet-lagged kids. the girls get their beloved Crocs (bright rubber shoes) at the Grove mall there.
• monday - take willow to her little dolphins by the sea, her preschool amongst the eucalyptus in a woods nearby, watch her ballet recital, go to santa monica pier - (too cold and overcast to really enjoy that). jo hates santa monica as she sees homeless people there...
• tuesday - amazing time running around the getty, dinner w/lorraine, john and anna and coyne-saxons in w.hollywood
• wednesday - go to Paradise Cove in Malibu and explore the tidal pools, kirst and i go to abbott kinney and find some bargains at Heist and some other little shops
• thursday - went to Eames house just down the hill from here (met the daughter and grandaughter of the late/greats - reminded me a lot of bev - so sweet and grateful that we visited the shrine of modern design!) and then to the neighborhood beach. a few kids are in bikinis sunbathing but otherwise just a handful of people hanging out in the sun
• friday - drive to desert hills mall, buy too many excellent bargains, drink the most delicious date shake from Hadleys Fruit Orchard (sounds weird but is the best thing ever), drive to 29 Palms Inn, arrive in time for dinner. i was miffed at first that they messed up our reservation and gave away our cute little cottages - we stayed in the owner's guest house a block away so it wasn't as easy to let the kids run off. but the good news was that it was FREE! they didn't charge us at all for rooms! the prada jacket is paid for! there is a god.
• saturday - kids go swimming in freezing pool while we drink coffee and eat fresh date bread in lounge chairs. climb amazing rock formations in Joshua Tree Nat Park - i take a little jog from one site to another to shake off some funky mood i developed from friday nite (post-shopping trauma combined w/kiddie freak out).
• sunday - more hanging out, then off to Palm Springs to Indian Canyons which was so incredibly beautiful. a waterfall carved into a huge rock, an oasis stream and palm trees in the bottom of canyon. from wandering barefoot in stream in tshirts, we take the aerial tram up to the top of mountain where people are sledding and snowboarding. insane! couldn't play long as it was getting dark and it was COLD. crazy combo of climates all in one day.
• monday - go to hamburger joint in Santa Monica to ck it out for a rockwell project, then explore Venice canals a bit - very cool. climb trees and practice cartwheels in afternoon at park. dinner at the house.
kids are having a blissful time. jo loves this little village - violet's school is 3 blocks away, there's a little center w/kids' clothing stores and ice cream...i could just hang out here and be happy taking walks or going to nearby beaches, parks...
but today it's raining in earnest - kirsten and i are going to Third St to shop and meet Kate and Bill. unfortunately, i've already blown a wad at the outlets so i'll have to curtail spending...
kisses from the coast